All recycling materials will be collected on Wednesdays.
Recycling is single-stream, which means that items do not need to be sorted. The co-mingled recycling items will be transported to a materials recovery facility for sorting and transporting to various markets.
The cart with the yellow lid is to be used for recycling only.
The following items may be placed in your recycling cart for curbside pick-up:
- Paperback Books
- Phone books
- Paper bags
- Envelopes (including those with windows)
- Junk mail
- Paperboard boxes
- Corrugated cardboard boxes (broken down). If you have a large quantity of cardboard boxes, that when broken down will not fit in your recycling cart, break them down and put them on top of your recycling inside the lid. If there is too large a quantity, please call Waste Management at (321) 723-4455 or the City's ECO Division at (321) 608-5080 to schedule a special pickup.
- Milk and juice cartons
- Recycle plastic bottles, jugs and tubs.
- Please rinse bottles before placing them in your cart.
- Do not include lids to bottles and jars.
- Do not include bottles that contained automotive products, pool chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers or any other household hazardous waste.
- Do not place plastic bags in your recycling cart. Many grocery and other retail stores accept plastic bags for recycling.
- Do not include any polystyrene, such as Styrofoam products. Publix accepts all polystyrene for recycling.
Any color bottles and jars. Lightly rinse glass jars and bottles. Do not include window glass, ceramic cups or dishes, light bulbs, mirrors or broken glass.
Aluminum, Tin and Steel Cans
Lightly rinse beverage and food cans. Empty aerosol cans are accepted. Clean aluminum foil and disposable aluminum pans can also be placed in your recycling cart.
Recycling Don’t’sDo not place the following items in your recycling cart (they can be placed in the garbage cart or, in some cases, deposited at a facility that accepts them):
- Pizza boxes, paper towels, napkins
- Anything with food residue
- Plastic bags, baggies, wrap, or bubble wrap
- Plastic packaging
- Polystyrene (such as Styrofoam) food containers and packing materials
- Boxes and bags with aluminum coating
- Ceramic bowls and mugs
- Window & mirror glass
- Tires, rubber hoses, and tubing
- Rope & ratchet straps
- Propane tanks
- Paint cans
- Empty motor oil containers
- Clothing & hangers
- Fishing line
- Cassette & video tapes
- DVD cases
- Shredded paper
For More Information
- For service needs or questions, contact Waste Management at (321) 723-4455 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also call the City of Melbourne's ECO Division at (321) 608-5080 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- If you live outside of Melbourne, contact your local government or the company that provides collection services.